Saturday 1 April 2017

The wrap up - International Women's Day


There is something wonderful that happens when you put a whole lot of women in a room, with a beautiful outlook, fabulous food, glasses of cold prosecco and inspiring stories. The barriers are down and people start connecting and being curious and well...

So many people have asked me how the International Women's day lunch went, and to be honest it was better than I had imagined. I hadn't really run an event like this before. I have organised and run meetings and leadership development programs and sales training programs, but this was different. It seemed to me that the day would go well if the food was good and people got on with each other. I also hoped that the speakers would be well received and interesting and that we could do some good by donating some money to Aidha, a Singaporean organisation committed to providing financial and computer literacy programmes, and leadership and entrepreneurial skills for foreign domestic workers and lower-income women.

But leading up to the event I had all the concerns:

  • What if no one wants to come?
  • What if I don't sell any tickets?
  • What if the food is terrible?
  • What if the attendees don't get on?
  • What if the speakers are terrible?
  • What if I alienate people?
what if, what if, what if...........

BUT...


The setting was beautiful and the food was so good. The best part though, was the conversations. The conversations happening at each table, the inspiring career conversations told by the fantastic speakers and the conversations that were generated as people left the event and told me what they thought. Two people at least told me they really needed to hear what the speakers had to say and that they were so glad they came.

From all the feedback I received I would say the day went great.

Carolyn Milligan was bubbly, funny and down to earth in telling her story about raising her twin girls, moving to Singapore and being involved in Helper Beauty pageants. Carolyn generated many laughs from her entertaining stories and showed us that there are different ways to manage your family and raise your kids.

Melinda Bush told her story including her fathers expectations for her career, her journey to become a Harvard Law school graduate, through to her dream job in Beijing and coming to Singapore with her young family. She was engaging and humorous and told some hard truths about working for a large law firm, after having a baby.

So:

  • people did come
  • I did sell enough tickets and was only 3 short of my goal of selling 30
  • the food and service was divine
  • the attendees got on so well it was hard to shut them up for the speakers!
  • I could not have asked for better speakers. They were amazing 
  • I hopefully didn't alienate anyone
And we donated $350 to Aidha! Cool huh?

Wanna come to my next event in Singapore?

It's on Thursday 27 April and will be an evening event. Put in your diary and details coming soon on the speakers, venue and tickets.

Lisa xx 

0 comments:

Post a Comment